Hello

Eygthene 24 Forum

A forum for owners of Eygthene 24's
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:10 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Refurbishment Advice
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:05 pm 

Hello,

My father is the new, lucky owner of 'Jamjar' based down on Langstone Harbour. We have just had the boat lifted out as there is a fair amount of refurbishment work we need to complete before putting her back on the water. I would appreciate any advice from those who have refurbished Eygthenes in the past. We are pretty confident the boat is structurally sound, however, there is a lot of tidying to do.

One of the least important aspects is the stove. The gimbaled stove was missing, I would rather know the dimensions of the new stove we are going to fit before completing any of the interior work. Could someone point me in the direction of a supplier, new or used, please?

Secondly, we had the opportunity to but a set of kevlar sails (120%, No.3 and Main) with the boat for £500. Our intention is to use the boat for cruising, so we didn't get the smarter sails. How much does a new set of kevlar sails cost? Is £500 a very good deal?

Thank you very much for any responses.

Oli

Post subject: Re: Refurbishment Advice
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:59 am 

Hello,

Welcome to Eygthene ownership.

My boat, Nemesis, was also missing its stove when I purchased her in 2009. I've fitted an Origo 3000 spirit burner (2 hobs) as Nemesis had never had gas fitted and I felt this was a much easier (and safer) option. Origos are fairly common in this type of boat and and regarded as very reliable and easy to use - probably takes a bit longer to boil the kettle though. Just Google "Origo stoves" and you'll find loads of suppliers - I got mine in Selby but there'll be someone more local for you. Think I paid £220. Dimensions - 462mm wide (510 inc. gimbles) 275mm deep, this just fit nicely in the original moulded unit.

As for sails - condition is everything. They're very expensive new but lose value rapidly once they're worn. Assuming they have racing life left in them £500 for 3 sails is very good value, in fact if you don't want them.....

Hope you enjoy JamJar, please keep us informed of progress. This forum gets a bit quiet at times - I'll try to do better and post more in future.

Nathaniel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:32 pm 

Oli and Nathaniel, great to see your posts.

We fitted a 2 burner and grill gas stove (Neptune) in 2003, their latest model is available currently on line for about £250. Google for dimensions.

In Dacron, a no3 would cost about £600, a main about £900 and a Genoa probably £1400 so a suit of kevlars at £500 would be a bargain if they are not worn out. Unless you have roller reefing on the genoa, you will need the no 3 as well as the Genoa for cruising.

Look at the old forum and particularly at advice about stopping deck leaks and strengthening the chainplates as this is the main concern with the Eygthene 24.

A reliable inboard engine is also desirable for cruising, though an outboard will get you by at a pinch. Some of us have fitted a yanmar 1GM10 to replace the aging Petter mini six fitted to most Eygthenes.

Good luck with your projects.

John Baldock

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:45 am 

Yes I am agree with JBaldo, Nice to read your post. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:23 pm 

hi not to far from me then as out boat is in Southsea Marina nr langston Habour, ours was missing as well whe we bought Saoirse, we fitted a small fridge in its place instead.