Hello

Eygthene 24 Forum

A forum for owners of Eygthene 24's
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:01 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:40 am 

Hi there, as the new owner of the Mantissa I'm wondering if you heard about the Dutch Quarton initiatives. http://www.lenco.eu/regatta.
Anyone interested? It's about sailing with the original IOR rule boats. I would love to see other Eygthenes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:17 pm 

Dear Karim,

It was great to see your post on the forum and to read the details of your boat on the owners page (though I confess that I didn't really understand the description, as I don't read the Dutch language). As you will have seen, there are just 6 members in the Netherlands who own Eygthenes. I do hope that some of them are able to join you at the forthcoming regatta in June.

Over here in the United Kingdom, there are rather more Eygthenes, but not many within easy reach of the Isselmeer. You may be aware that there is also a Quarter tonner race in the annual Cowes regatta, which attracts a lot of quarter tonners (though very few , if any, Eygthenes).

I am based in Cornwall which is in the far South-West of England. We have never sailed as far as Holland, but often sail to the Channel Isles (Guernsey, Jersey and Sark) and across to Brittany. Actually my wife and I, whilst we still have the Eygthene "Siddique", now sail our Jeanneau Sunlight 30.

Best wishes

John Baldock

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:06 pm 

Thanks for your post John,
I have been looking to your beautifull Siddique. Did you put up a longer mast? It looks great. My first ambition is to get the Mantissa fit again. It is fit enough for local waters. I love to compete in local clubraces. I just ordered a Spinnaker. But there is a lot more to be done to get it fit for the North sea. It sounds great to sail it to its origin at the Channel Islands. Maybe in a few years time. As I understood from the Cowes regatta the races are sailed with IRC Certificates. That is also possible in the Dutch cup, but most will not have an official rating, I suppose. They will sail under the SW-handicap system. That is low profile, without need to get your boat all measured up. That will stimulate guys like me just having fun sailing together with an old and affordable boat.
I have been in Cornwall last year for Hollidays and supported my daughter at the RS-Feva Worlds at Hayling Island on the Solent, and I experienced that you have great waters to sail.
Hope you'll have a great sailing season,
Best wishes too,

Karim Kat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:23 pm 

Dear Karim,

Many thanks for your kind wishes. We plan to cruise from Falmouth along the English coast to Salcombe, across to Guernsey and Sark, on to Jersey, then down to north Brittany, particularly to visit ile de Brehat, which is said to be very beautiful. We will have a long weekend off the boat, to visit Paris, where my son and his lady friend will meet us and show us around. Then back on board and return to Falmouth. This is all plannned for late May to mid June in the Jeanneau.

I am hoping to do a bit of tidying up on Siddique and have another go at trying to sell her, when we get back. Old boats are not selling well at the moment, so I do not have great hopes. However, she stands on her trailer in my friend's field so it is not a costly matter, having to wait for a buyer.

Yes, the original mast was broken when a stay failed during a race in 1987, before we owned her. The replacement mast is about 1.5 metres taller and of course the mainsail is quite a lot bigger than the original, though the Genoa is the same size. It has changed her into a fractional rig. She goes particularly well in light winds and we have three reefs in the mainsail, so we can reef as the wind increases. The first reef brings her down to almost the original sail area. With the taller mast, the previous owner fitted running backstays and a powerful backstay and these give the opportunity for plenty of rig tuning.

The inboard Yanmar 1GM10 has had hardly any use, as it was new when fitted in 2005 and we have been sailing the Jeanneau for the last 4 years. I hope someone will come along who will appreciate the superb performance of the Eygthene. We used to pass boats quite a lot bigger than Siddique.

Hope you too have a good season.

Best wishes

John